sarah k's visual soc. blog

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Getting To Know My Eyes

Filed under: Uncategorized — skusnitz at 12:43 pm on Friday, February 19, 2010  Tagged

I often head over to the library in my neighborhood when I am in search of some peace and quiet. To me, the library is the definition of peace and quiet. There is one spot I head to first. There is a huge comfortable chair on the second floor next to floor to ceiling windows and directly across from rows and rows of books. The colors used in the space are neutral ones (grey, white, cream). You might say how is that an inviting and comfortable area? Well, the bookcases that surround me are a warm wood, to me, that’s what makes the area inviting. As I look in front of me I notice the rows and rows of books. I can’t see where they rows of books end, they seem to go on forever. It almost symbolizes infinite possibilities of what I can do and look at in the library. As I turn to look out the window, I notice that there is a busy shopping center right next door. I realize that although there is so much commotion going on outside of my surroundings, I don’t notice it because everything inside where I am is calm and relaxing and it almost washes out what is going on outside.

This picture, although you can’t tell where it is, was taken on the Harvard campus in Boston. If you have every visited the campus you will notice that it’s a beautiful campus covered by trees, very serene, right in the middle of a busy city. Once you are walking around the campus, you can’t even tell there is a noisy city around you, similar to how i feel in the library. The top of the building is not in this picture, which is similar to the rows and rows of books I experience in the library. The building seems as if it goes on forever (like the books) which illustrates infinite possibilities of what I can accomplish and learn in life.

2

amaru

February 20, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

I’ve never been to Harvard, and I’ve only seen pictures of it on the internet. The campus and the inside of the buildings look amazing. One picture I saw of it looked like the dining room from Harry Potter, was it the library?

I agree about the library being a great place to escape the hectic world outside, it’s like no matter what’s going on outside (because there’s always something going on) a library can give you peace from it all. But, to be honest, libraries also tend to creep me out for that same reason..

3

biancaerriah

February 20, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

Looking at this picture I had absolutely no idea what it was or where it was taken. But what caught my attention was the glare of the sunlight and how it hit the lens of the camera. The window looks as if a herd of angels are about to come out of it and spread good news. Although nature doesn’t have a set growing pattern the leaves on the sides of the building looked very uniform like it was set in that way.
After finding out this was Harvard I remembered seeing pictures off a pamphlet for the college but this picture doesn’t compare.
I fell in love with QC when I started here because of the view from the Quad of the Manhattan skyline. So I appreciate this picture of Harvard because it shows the relaxation of a college campus, away from the stress of classes.

4

rachelhymowitz

February 20, 2010 @ 11:39 pm

I like the fact that when I saw the picture I just thought it was a window you decided to take a picture of. The detail you went into to describe where the window was located and what was behind the window made me go back and look at the picture again and I could really picture a quiet peaceful library behind the window.

5

Lindsey Paul

February 20, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

I agree with your statement that the definition of a library is peace and quite. Although I always preferred to be in the comforts of my own house to study for an exam, a library is the ideal place for most. The lighting in the photograph creates a sort of mystic vibe on the campus. Personally, I have never been to the Harvard campus, but by the way you described it, it sounds like a must see.

6

helen720

February 21, 2010 @ 9:18 pm

i agree that too. even thought, i havent went to library for long time, but i do missed the time when i spending with my friends reading in the library. while we love to sit in the quiet room, and whispering in the room. btween, the picture was nice taken too.

7

devyndarko

February 22, 2010 @ 1:20 am

I must say, one of my favorite things in the world is a brickwall covered in ivy. The colors contrast so beautifully, but unfortunately I see no brick. This building appears to be covered in it, which makes it much more interesting. The boldness in color of deep green with the shiny windows makes for nice contrast. I get the feeling that you really like this building. Nice picture..

9

antonia

February 22, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

Since you got many positive posts already (most of them I agree with!) here a nagging one: Why did you not include the roof in your picture if you mention it in your post?

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.