sarah k's visual soc. blog

a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Mini Fieldwork Experience

Filed under: Uncategorized — skusnitz at 2:00 am on Sunday, March 7, 2010  Tagged

Veronica and I were able to switch roles and experience being both the researcher and the experimenter. While I played the researcher, I asked Veronica what she felt needed to be changed at Queens College. One of the things she mentioned was about the snow removal. This was something I had never thought of before. Although I walk through the snow quite often (pretty much everyday this past month) it never occurred to me how poorly it was taken care of around school. We walked around Kiely Hall and she showed me how the snow still covered much of the pathways. She went on to tell me how it is impossible to find parking (even on school property) with the snow still around. I asked Veronica if she had any personal experiences with the poorly plowed snow, and what she thought could be done to change the situation. Veronica also mentioned that she felt the Academic Advisement office could be a little more helpful as well. Personally, she said she sometimes had no idea what was going on around campus and often she would be the one to help her transfer friends with questions that they had.

When I was first listening to what I would have to do for this assignment I was nervous, confused, and thought, “How am I going to be able to come up with questions to be a researcher”. I thought that for sure being the subject would be much easier. All I would have to do was just answer the questions asked to me. I first experienced being the subject. Answering the questions wasn’t as easy as I thought. I often have a hard time explaining myself and trying to tell the person what I am trying to say. I was worried that Veronica wouldn’t understand what I was trying to say. However, she kept asking further questions about what I was saying so I became hopeful that she understood my answers. I was a little nervous at first when I had to be the researcher. Veronica did such a good job I felt that I had no idea how to do as well. I was nervous my questions wouldn’t be good enough and that I wouldn’t have enough questions. I quickly realized that although I had set questions I wanted to ask, I came up with other questions on the spot that had to do with what Veronica was saying. I didn’t expect this to happen but I’m glad it did and I realized there was nothing to be nervous about. I learned that you don’t know exactly what will happen in an experiment, or what the subject may say so it’s hard to have a set plan of everything you want to ask. Some things will come naturally, questions will enter your mind easily and there is nothing to be nervous about. I think this experience was very helpful. I am a very shy person and being paired up with a new classmate definitely helped a lot. For the final project I know not to be nervous when asking my questions, sometimes you just need to “play it be ear” and see where it will take you. The possibilities are endless.

11

antonia

March 15, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Great entry, well done. Like your pictures.

My Major Cleaning

March 20, 2016 @ 10:48 am

My Major Cleaning

sarah k's visual soc. blog » Mini Fieldwork Experience

restaurant vent hood cleaning

April 1, 2016 @ 1:43 pm

restaurant vent hood cleaning

a maid service

May 29, 2016 @ 2:14 am

a maid service

a

September 12, 2016 @ 12:55 pm

a

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.